Wellington Daily News - Wellington, KS
  • Wellington house fire in the snow

  • Late Tuesday afternoon, local fire and EMS personnel battled a blaze on east Botkin.
    • email print
  • Wellington Fire and EMS crews responded to a structure fire at 523 E. Botkin that caused $9,000 in damages to the house.
    The house is owned by Merlin Troutman, occupied by Vance Lough, no one was home at the time of the fire. The Wellington Fire Department says combustibles too close to a wood burning stove started the blaze.
    At approximately 4:00 p.m., scanner traffic indicated a passer-by noticed smoke coming from the house and called 911. Emergency crews arrived on scene a few minutes later. Snow was still coming down in Wellington while firefighters began to investigate and battle the blaze.
    "Upon arrival firefighters found a one story home with heavy smoke showing and fire visible on east side of the exterior of the home," says a press release from the WFD. "Firefighters confined the fire to one room and the exterior siding…The county valuation of the home was $8100 and no there was no electric or natural gas on at the time of the fire." The ordeal was over at approximately 5:15 p.m.
    For the latest, breaking, local news stay with The Wellington Daily News.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar