The St. John-Hudson boys got another lopsided win on Monday, taking apart the Ellinwood Eagles 76-23 at Larned's Keady Classic.

The St. John-Hudson boys got another lopsided win on Monday, taking apart the Ellinwood Eagles 76-23 at Larned's Keady Classic.

 The game had St. John ahead 20-1 in the first quarter with the Eagles getting the next six points to take the Tigers into the second quarter leading 20-7.

Scoring 26 to Ellinwood's two points, the Tigers went into the half ahead 46-9.

The Tigers continued to build their lead in the second half, winning the game and moving on to the semi-finals at 4 pm. held at Larned's Middle School on Friday.

The Tigers made seven 3-pointers and Dean Wade crashed the boards bringing in three dunks, one causing the officials to call a technical foul. A call that is seldom seen in high school basketball where he dunked the ball and then caught it as it was coming out of the net bringing several chuckles from both teams and the crowd.

Wade had 29 points followed by Zuriel Reyes with 14, Gera Calleros 8, Jacob Milton 7, Kade Kinnamon 6, Jorge Calleros 5, Jesus Alvarez 5, Nathan Ward 2.

St. John hit 53 percent of the field goals (28/53), 47 percent of their three-pointers (7/15) and 54 percent of their free throws. Ellinwood hit 24 percent of their field goals (9/38), 06 percent of their three-pointers (1/18) and 50 percent of their free throws (4/8).

Free throws made: Wade 4/7, Alvarez, 3 /4, Milton 3/5, Kade Kinnamon 2/3, Jorge Calleros 1/3.

Rebounds: St. John, 17 off., 22 def. - Ellinwood, 6 off., 11 def.

Tournovers: St. John 11 - Ellinwood 20.

Assists: St. John 13 - Ellinwood 4. Steals: St. John 13 - Ellinwood 5.

Blocks: Wade 2.

The St. John-Hudson girls lost in overtime 38-40 to the Ellinwood Eagles in the first round at Larned's Keady Classic Basketball Tournament.

Starting out with a 13-6 first quarter lead and forcing nine Ellinwood turnovers, it looked as if the Lady Tigers might be on their way to victory, especially with the number of shots St. John put up in the first half. But unfortunately many of the shots just wouldn't go in, which kept the Eagles within striking distance, the Tigers going into the half leading 21-15.

Even though Ellinwood knocked off a few points from St. John's lead in the third quarter, the Tigers still led 31-28 going into the final quarter.

Then disaster struck. With the Tigers still leading and with 2:35 left on the clock, St. John's big man Teresa Christie fouled out. Ten seconds later the Eagles tied the score at 33-all. Ellinwood got their first lead of the game 33-35 at the 2:05 mark and after several time-outs with the Eagles ahead by three points (34-37). St. John senior Tia Smith angled a long three off the backboard with 14.7 seconds left, tying the score which eventually took the game into overtime.

During the overtime St. John made one point and Ellinwood three – just enough for the win and take the Eagles into the semi-final round. The loss placed the Tigers into the consolation bracket and will face off against the Macksville Mustangs Thursday afternoon.