It was a large grass fire Wednesday afternoon just after 3:00 p.m. that got the attention of the neighbors of Roger and Nancy McNett, who live just west of 50th and Maize Road, north of Wellington.   Units from Wellington were alerted, but took about an hour and a half to put out the fire, their efforts challenged by the high winds and the terrain.  
Scott McNett was notified by his mother and responded as soon as he could.  He said he “is a farm boy” so he was “concerned, but not scared.”  He knew he had to keep it away from the trees and equipment.  His parents’ neighbors had seen the fire and contacted his mother, while another neighbor called 911.  
Scott says, "I jumped on my four-wheeler with the spray tank on the back” and got to work trying to contain a few spots before the Wellington Fire Department arrived with their much larger equipment.  
Although no structures were damaged or destroyed, it was a close call as the fire got within “inches of the cedar trees.”  
Scott believes the fire may have been caused by someone who had thrown out a cigarette into the ditch as they drove by.  The fire is believed to have started in the ditch.  It ultimately burned around 60 acres.  
Scott says he is very thankful that his parents live in a community where they look out for each other.  Thanks to their quick actions, Scott and the fire department were able to keep this fire from burning nothing more than just grass.  “The grass will come back,” Scott says.