Caywood graduated from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center earlier this month
Fifty-three new law enforcement officers graduated from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC) on Aug. 10. University of Kansas Chancellor Douglas A. Girod was the speaker for the ceremony in KLETC’s Integrity Auditorium.
The new officers were members of the 251st basic training class at the center. Located one mile west and one mile south of Yoder, near Hutchinson, the center is a division of University of Kansas Professional & Continuing Education.
The graduates, who began their training April 30, represented 38 municipal, county and state law enforcement agencies from across Kansas.
Graduates receive certificates of course completion from KLETC and Kansas law enforcement certification from the Kansas Commission on Peace Officers’ Standards and Training, the state’s law enforcement licensing authority. The training course fulfills the state requirement for law enforcement training. Classroom lectures and hands-on applications help train officers to solve the increasingly complex problems they face in the line of duty.
Established by the Kansas Legislature in 1968, the center trains the majority of municipal, county and state law enforcement officers in Kansas and oversees the training of the remaining officers at seven authorized and certified academy programs operated by local law enforcement agencies and the Kansas Highway Patrol.
About 300 officers enroll annually in KLETC 14-week basic training programs. The center offers continuing education and specialized training to over 10,000 Kansas officers each year.
• Rose Hill Police Department; Katrina Chance; patrol officer; Rose Hill
• Butler County Sheriff’s Office; William O’Neal; deputy, El Dorado
• Butler County Sheriff’s Office; Donald Tharp; deputy, El Dorado
• Cowley County Sheriff’s Office; Bryan Cyrus; deputy; Winfield
• Haysville Police Department; Holly Cash; patrol officer; Haysville
• Haysville Police Department; Sky Chapman; patrol officer; Haysville
• Valley Center Police Department; Jerry Ezell; patrol officer; Valley Center
• Park City Police Department; Cole Haas; patrol officer; Park City
• Sumner County Sheriff’s Office; Kyle Caywood; deputy; Wellington