Wellington Fire/EMS Department reminder on fireworks regulations and safety tips
Discharge dates and hours are July 1-3 from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. and July 4th from 10 a.m. to midnight. Sales dates and hours are July 1-4 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
It is illegal to shoot fireworks on public streets, at Wellington Lake and at Hargis Creek Watershed. Do not dispose of fireworks in a trash can or box when done. Place ignited fireworks in a metal container with water and soak overnight.
Fireworks Safety Tips
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated shooter”.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Adults should always supervise the use of fireworks by older children.
- Never point or throw fireworks at a person, building, or animal.
- Have a source of water handy, in case of fire.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Bottle rockets and other skyrockets that are mounted on a stick or wire are illegal.
- Do not shoot fireworks indoors or from a vehicle.
- Keep fireworks away from open spaces with dry vegetation