Manila Gorillas win the 30th annual Great Race on a hot and humid Saturday in Wellington
It was a hot and humid Saturday throughout Kansas, but that didn't stop Wellington from having its 30th annual Great Race - Slate Creek Relay at Woods Park.
Eight teams entered the race to test their endurance, horsemanship, and motocross racing, but only one could win the title and take home the Depot Cup.
That team would be the Manila Gorillas.
The official times are not yet available, but it was safe to assume that the Gorillas won the contest by more than a minute.
SSB Big Bucks (2017 winner) came in second place and back-to-back reigning champions (2018 and 2019) Dore Enchies came in third place.
This was the Gorillas' first title in the Great Race after participating for four years. In the past, the Gorillas have finished in second twice and third once.
Members of the Manila Gorillas include:
- Dylan Dickinson, Wellington - 360 sprint;
- Kassidy Johnson, Wichita – 3/4 mile (a 2020 Big 12 Indoor 1000-meter champion from Kansas State);
- Zane Aguilar, Wellington – Cross country (Wellington High School football, and track and field coach);
- Tyler Pettegrew, Wellington – Motocross;
- Tyler Balsters, Haysville – Desert Highway;
- Travis Whaley, Wellington – Horse Race;
- Bill Mott, Wellington – Racing Bike;
- Drew Lotz, Rose Hill – One Mile;
- Britte Magnuson, Maize – One Mile;
- Shane Holverson, Wellington; Sage Aguilar, Wellington – Canoe #1
- Heath Carroll, Wellington; Austin Hamilton, Wellington – Canoe #2
- Zane Winter, Wellington – 1/2 mile;
- Christian Buckman, Wellington – 360 sprint.