Wellington summer swim team wins over 45 events, breaks records in performance over Twin Rivers Club
Early mornings, bikes rolling in, sounds of children giggling, working on swim strokes and always pushing themselves to be better in the water. That’s just the Wellington summer swim team.
On Tuesday, July 13, Wellington wrapped up their last home meet against Twin Rivers Club (TRC). The Wellington Sailfish won over 45 events against TRC and would finish with a combined score of 370-106.
"We are lucky enough to have some very talented swimmers and an entire team that works hard to improve their times and encourage each other,” said coach Cindy Tracy.
Every single member of the team has experienced time cuts and improved their strokes. There have also been several swimmers who are breaking records, then qualifying for the District Championship meet and the Missouri Valley Championship meet.
The new records include:
- Men 8 & Under 50 Breast New Team and Pool Record: Duke N. Shinliver (59.72)
- Men 9-10 100 Free New Team and Pool Record: Owen W. Camblin (1:19.90)
- Men 9-10 50 Fly New Team Record: Owen W. Camblin (39.81)
- Men 9-10 200 IM New Team Record: Owen W. Camblin (3:18.71)
- Women 11-12 200 IM New Team and Pool Record: Alara I. Wilson (2:47.61)
- Women 15-18 50 Free New Team Record: Jensen Lynnes (30.25)
- Women 15-18 100 Free New Team Record: Jensen Lynnes (1:07.04)
"I could not be more proud of this bunch of swimmers in their hard work and dedication daily," said Coach Ann Shinliver. "What’s more special is all ages (6-16) are friends and support, encourage and cheer for each other in and out of the water.”
The Sailfish will participate in GPSL League Finals in Winfield on Friday, July 16th and Saturday, July 17th, which will bring an end to the regular season. However, several swimmers have already qualified for post-season competition.